Electronics and Communication Engg.
About the department
The Department offers full-time UG programme in Electronics & Communication Engineering. The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established in the year 1997 with an intake of 45 and since then emerged as one of the most resourceful Departments of our institution with an intake of 180 at present. The program is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi and approved by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The UG programme is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), New Delhi till 2026.
The Department is headed by Dr. Latha R and has 28 qualified and experienced faculty members with expertise in VLSI and embedded systems, digital communication, signal processing, computer networks, nanoelectronics, and for whom teaching is a passion.
- The department is possessed with well-equipped laboratories strengthened by software's like Matlab, labview, Cadence, Electric9.07, Xilinx, ModelSim, Labview, Multisim, Keil, Flash magic, Pspice, Nctuns4.0, CCstudio etc. and supported by LPC, ALS SDK 51, ALS B30DRV, SPARTAN6, XC6SlX4 boards.
- The department has MOUS with Edgate, Technilab Instruments, Jetking, Technilab Instruments Pvt Ltd., Teamtronics, SunsoftronicsPvt Ltd.
- To impart additional skills to students, Department organizes regular industrial visits, extended lectures, skill development programs, value addition courses, field visits and internship.
- The Department invites experts from industry and academia to address the students on emerging trends and technologies. Some of the eminent personalities visited are Dr. SarojKumar Maher, Associate Prof. Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore, Dr. G S Javeed, senior member IEEE and founder Kings Consultants Education, Dr. SatyaPal, founder, Indian Institute of HAM, Dr. Parameshwar P Iyer, Chairman IPTeL, IISC.
- The department has IEEE and IETE student chapters under Bangalore section.
- To monitor the students’ progress a mentor is assigned to a batch of 15 to 20 students. The mentor tracks the progress and interacts with the students and their parents to boost the academic performance and at the same time ensure the students’ wellbeing.
- Remedial classes are conducted to help slow learners in analytical courses.
- Various teaching pedagogies are adopted to help students develop self learning skills. Google class room, you tubes, PPTs, flipped class room are some of the pedagogies adopted.
- Learning material, Model question banks and online learning resources are loaded on the Google Class Room
- Ample opportunities are provided to students to participate in co curricular, extracurricular, cultural and sports events to develop competitive instincts
Heritage of ECE:
Electronic engineering as a profession sprang from technological advancements in telephony and telegraphy in the early part of 20th century. Succeeding years saw the wide use of Radios for broadcasting. The latter half of the previous century saw the emergence of Electronics as a major discipline with the invention of transistors, MOSFETS and other solid-state devices.
In the last couple of decades Electronics and Communication Engineering has emerged as a major discipline which lays the foundation for analysis and design of systems for various applications. Modern day engineering solutions involve extensive use of computers with computer aided design and simulation tools as viable tools for designing complex systems
Electronics and Communication Engineering magnificence lies in its ubiquity! Electronic gadgets are a major part of our lives. Electronics and Communication has become an important discipline needed by any other industry.Now the world will no longer negate the sense that the study of Electronics and Communication carries. Electronics and Communication Technology is also one of the most sought fields after the pre-university education
The scope of Electronics and Communication Engineering
Taking into account the educational spectrum and career choices, here are the common study areas in the field of Electronics and Communication.
- Embedded systems
- Wireless Communication
- Satellite Communication.
- Microwave Communication.
- Radio Communication.
- Mobile Communication.
- Digital Image Processing
- Analog and Digital Electronics
- Internet of Things
Potential recruiters and sectors
There are plenty of job prospects with respect to ECE in government and private sectors. Here are some of the significant sectors for ECE students and recruiters.
- ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization).
- ECIL (Electronics Corporation of India Limited).
- BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Centre).
- DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization).
- BEL (Bharat Electronics Limited).
- DERL (Defence Electronics and Research Laboratory).
- BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited).
- HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited).
- Railway Departments.
- Intel Corporation.
- Samsung Electronics.
- Texas Instruments.
- Phillips Semiconductors.
- Hewlett-Packard (HP).
- International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).
- Cisco Systems.
- HCL Technologies.
Short term Goals:
- Improve industry institute interaction
- Motivate students to take up R & D projects
- Aim for better results (Above 75% in all semesters)
- Establish MOUs with premier institutions and industries
Long term Goals:
- To emerge as a top ranked University program.
- To set up Department Incubation Centre
- 100% placement in MNCs and Core Domain
- To get NBA accreditation for 6 years
History of the Program
1997 : Department was established with an intake of 45
2000 : Intake increased from 45 to 60
2006 : Intake increased from 60 to 90
2007 : Intake increased from 90 to 120
2015 : Intake increased from 120 to 180
- Approved by AICTE
- Permanently affiliated to VTU
- Provisionally Accredited by NBA for 2 years from 2015-2017
- Provisionally Accredited by NBA for 3 years from 2019-2022
- To shape the students as disciplined humane engineers who can build a strong, peaceful and vibrant country and focus on mutual respect, tolerance and professional ethics.
- To provide the best possible educational experience through excellence in teaching and research activities for today’s students and professionals of tomorrow.
- To hone young minds and train them to be conscientious individuals who will serve the society as competent professionals in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering