Department of Chemistry
Chemistry has been the back bone of all materials and plays an important role in engineering and technology. Chemistry has a major role to play in Photovoltaic Cells, batteries, corrosion control, fuel cells, chemical coatings, metallurgy and treatment of domestic and industrial wastes. Some of the Emerging Fields and Interdisciplinary Studies where chemistry is involved are Nano Technology, Electrochemical Engineering, Geo-Technical, Polymer Technology, Bio Technology, Metal matrix composites, Environmental Engineering etc.
Department of Chemistry strongly supports the students of Bachelor in engineering programs in Computer Science Engineering, Information Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Civil engineering courses. The quality of education would focus on concepts and their applications and modelling of different phenomenon in domains of physical, chemical and material sciences.
The department is recognized as a centre for research and development affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University. Being a centre of active outreach programmes its initiative in pursuing research has been recognized by ISRO-Respond and DST-SERB by providing assistance for undertaking research projects.
The Department focuses on the overall development of the students through innovative teaching and learning. The department believes in continuous training and development of staff is required to upgrade their skills and to meet the technological evolution taking place so that they are up to date always. The students demonstrated a high level of commitment and excellence with regard to their curricular and research accomplishments. The Department of Engineering Chemistry has been taking active participation in the overall development of student’s community and HKBK College of Engineering.
Subjects offered: Engineering Chemistry and Engineering Chemistry Laboratory for all branches of engineering.
Program offered: Ph.D. Research program in Applied Sciences (Chemistry)- Electrochemical studies of Corrosion Inhibition of metals and alloys, Synthesis and characterisation of corrosion inhibitors. Corrosion Characterisation of Metal matrix composites, Synthesis and Characterisation of nano compounds. Applications of nano compounds in Geo-Technical and Environmental studies.
Heritage of course: The objective of the course is to provide the knowledge of understanding the fundamental principles of engineering and technology. Chemistry help students to understand and use basic chemical concepts but also to relate these concepts to real-world issues and show how chemistry helps in understanding and dealing with the many science and technological related issues. However, an understanding of basic chemical and scientific ideas is more important in a technological field and for understanding and dealing with the problems and issues. The course topics addresses various fields of engineering and technology like sustainable energy generation and efficient storage systems, electrochemical concepts in plating of metals and corrosion protection, analytical instrumentation techniques, water chemistry and air poullution, waste management challenges and sustainability needs of the global environment.
Course Curriculum: CBCS
Engineering Chemistry Theory (18CHE 12/22):
Module-1: Module-1 Electrochemistry & Energy Storage Systems.
Module-2: Corrosion & Metal Finishing.
Module-3 Fuels & Solar Energy.
Module-4: Environmental Pollution & Water Chemistry.
Module-5 Instrumental Methods & Nano Materials.
Course Learning Objectives: This course (18CHE12/22) will enable students to
- Master the basic knowledge of engineering chemistry for building technical competence in industries, research and development.
- To develop knowledge in the fields of use of free energy in chemical equilibrium, electrochemistry and energy storage systems, Corrosion and metal finishing.
- To understand the importance of energy systems, environmental pollution,waste management, water chemistry, Instrumental methods of analysis and Nanomaterials.
Engineering Chemistry Laboratory (18CHEl 16/26):
Part-A : Instrumental Experiments
1. Potentiometric estimation of FAS using standard K2Cr2O7 solution.
2. Conductometric estimation of acid mixture.
3. Determination of Viscosity co-efficient of the given liquid using Ostwald’s viscometer.
4. Colorimetric estimation of Copper.
5. Determination of pKa of the given weak acid using pH meter.
6. Flame photometric estimation of sodium and potassium.
Part-B: Volumetric Experiments
1. Estimation of Total hardness of water by EDTA complexometric method.
2. Estimation of CaO in cement solution by rapid EDTA method.
3. Determination of percentage of Copper in brass using standard sodium thiosulphate solution.
4. Determination of COD of waste water.
5. Estimation of Iron in haematite ore solution using standard K2Cr2O7 solution by external indicator method.
6. Estimation of percentage of available chlorine in the given sample of bleaching powder (Iodometric method)
Course objectives: To provide students with practical knowledge of
- Quantitative analysis of materials by classical methods of analysis.
- Instrumental methods for developing experimental skills in building technical competence.
Course outcomes: On completion of this course, students will have the knowledge in,
CO1: Handling different types of instruments for analysis of materials using small quantities of
materials involved for quick and accurate results.
CO2: Carrying out different types of titrations for estimation of concerned in materials using
comparatively more quantities of materials involved for good results.
Research program offered: Ph.D. Applied Sciences (Chemistry)
Head of Research Centre: Dr. Sanaulla P F, Professor & Head Chemistry.
PhD Regulations as per VTU: follow links: 1. http://research.vtu.ac.in/, 2. https://vtu.ac.in/en/ph-d/ , 3. https://vtu.ac.in/en/ph-d-syllabus/,
Department Research Profile:
Research projects Undertaken:
- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India sponsored project (Project No. SR/S3/MERC/0111/2012), titled “Nano calcium silicate - soil based mineral amendments as liners for hazardous waste containment facilities" (2013 – 2016). Total budget of project Rs 37.28 lakhs.
- Completed RESPOND project of ISRO Project (DOS sanction order DOS/PAD/GIA/2005-06/65/2532, dated 6th January 2006) Titled “Stress corrosion studies on Al alloys (like AA7075 – T7351 and AA7075 – T651)” from April 2006 to June 2009. Total budget of project Rs 11.53 lakhs.
Research projects –Proposal Submitted:
- DST- Nano Mission of India, Project titled “Synthesis and evaluation of low cost nano compounds as admixture for landfill liners in problematic soils- Desorption and consolidation studies with sustainability perspective”- DST NMI Online Project Management System TPN37621, cost of this project is 59,70,540 INR. Status - Under evaluation.(August 2019).
Published Patent No: 2765/CHE / 2015.
CBR No. 10983, Title “Nano Calcium Silicate – soil based mineral amendments as liners for hazardous waste containment facilities” dated 02/06/2015, patent published on 15/12/2017.
- Mr. Kotresha K , USN: 1HK16PGJ05; Title: “Heavy Metal Immobilization by Nano – Metal Oxide Amendment in Contaminated Red soil and Black cotton Soil.. Department of Chemistry, HKBK College of Engineering, Bangalore. Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. Comprehensive Viva-Voce Completed- Thesis writing in Progress.
- Ms. I Nusrat Jehan, USN: 1HK16PGJ04 ; Title: “Electrochemical Studies on Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium alloys AA6061, AA6063 in Acidic medium using Organic compounds”. Department of Chemistry, HKBK College of Engineering, Bangalore. Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. Course work Completed.
A one day FDP programme on the topic ‘Research Methodology’ was conducted jointly by Dept. of Civil Engineering and Dept. of Chemistry, HKBK CE on 26/10/2019
Journal Publications -22
- "Evaluating Sequential Extraction Procedure to Ascertain Binding Mechanisms in Soil Nano Calcium Silicate (NCS) Mixtures. Kotresha. K, Sanaulla PF, Mohammed, S.A.S. and Moghal, A.A.B - Indian Geo Technical Journal- Under review.
- Cadmium Fixation Studies on Contaminated Soils Using Nano Calcium Silicate – Treatment Strategy, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Arif Ali Baig Moghal, Sanaulla P.F, Kotresha K, Hari Prasad Reddy P, Technical Paper Program , March 12-15, 2017, Orlando, Florida, USA. Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 GSP 276 @ ASCE, page 434-442.
- Sustainable use of soils amended with Nano calcium silicate mixture for Nickel encapsulation in an aqueous medium", Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F, Kotresha K, Arif Ali Baig Mogha. Materials Today Proceedings (ICNAO), ELSEVEIR, 4 (2017) page 12271–12277.
- Potential of Soils Amended with a Nano Calcium Silicate Mixture for Lead Encapsulation in an Aqueous Medium. Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F, Munwar B Basha and Arif Ali Baig Moghal, Geo-Chicago-2016 GSP 269 @ASCE, USA. page 467- 276.
- Role of different leaching methods to arrest transport of Ni2+ in soil and soil amended with ano calcium silicate, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F and Arif Ali Baig Moghal GEOCHINA -2016 GSP261 @ASCE, USA. pp 49-56.
- Sustainable use of locally available red earth and black cotton soils to retain Cd2+ and Ni2+ from aqueous solutions, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P. F and Arif Ali Baig Moghal, International Journal of Civil Engineering-Springer, Iran University of Science and Technology, DOI 10.1007/s40999-016-0052-z,30 May 2016.
- “Effect of Electroless Cu Coating on the Mechanical properties of Al6061/SiC/Gr based Hybrid Composite”. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol 5( 3), (2014) pp1070 -1077.( Impact factor -1.47)
- Inhibiting Action of Tetra-N-Butyl Ammonium Bromide And Tetra-N-Butyl Ammonium Iodide on The Corrosion Behaviour of Za-27 Alloy In 1m Na2SO4.”International Journal of Engineering and Science (IJES), Vol.3, Issue. 6(2014)pp 58-68.
- “Inhibition Action of Tetra –N – Butyl Ammonium Bromide and Tetra –N Butyl Ammonium Iodide on the Corrosion Behaviour of ZA-27 Alloy in 0.5 M NaCl.” International Journal of Latest Technology in Engineering & Management, Vol.III, Issue. VI, (June 2014) pp 09-18.
- “Inhibiting Action of Quaternary Ammonium Salts on the Corrosion Behaviour of ZA-27 Alloy in 1M Na2SO4” IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR-JAC), Volume 7, Issue 5 Ver. I. (May. 2014), (Impact factor -1.327).
- “Electro chemical investigation on the corrosion behavior of ZA-27 alloy in 1MNa2SO4 in the presence of cationic surfactants as inhibitors” IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), Volume 19, Issue 6, Ver. I (Jun. 2014), PP 09-20,(Impact factor -1.589)
- “Inhibitive effect of N,N’-bis (Salicylidene)1-2 Diaminoethane and N,N’-bis(3- Methoxy Salicylidene)1-2 Diaminoethane on the corrosion of AA6061 alloy in Hydrochloric acid”. Journal of Applicable Chemistry, Vol 2(4), (2013), pp940-957.(Impact Factor- 1.26).
- “Electrochemical Behaviour of AA6061 Alloy in 1M Hydrochloric Acid using Schiff Base Compounds as Corrosion Inhibitors”. J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 4(3), (2013) PP 326-327. (Impact Factor- 1.0923).
- “Electrochemical Behaviour of AA6063 Alloy in Hydrochloric Acid using Schiff Base Compounds as Corrosion Inhibitors. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications Vol. 2, Issue 5, 2012, pp 2049-2061.(Impact Factor-1.69)
- “Electrochemical investigation of corrosion inhibition of AA6063 alloy in 1M hydrochloric acid using Schiff base compounds”. IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry. Vol 2. Issue 5, 2012, pp37-47.(Impact factor -1.327)
- “Corrosion Inhibition of AA6061 and AA6063 alloy in Hydrochloric acid media by Schiff base compounds”. J. Chil. Chem. Soc., 57, Nº 4 (2012) PP 1364-1370.(Impact Factor-0.67)
- Corrosion Characterization of TiO2 Particulate Reinforced Al-6063 Composites in Chloride and Nitrate Media, Asian Journal of Chemistry, ISSN 0970-7077, 2011, Volume 23, Issue 4, 1664 – 1668. (Impact factor -0.247)
- Influence of chlorides, nitrate and sulphate media on corrosion behaviour of TiO2 particulate reinforced Al-6061 composites, Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, ISSN 1647-1571, 2010, 28(5), 309-320
- Corrosion behaviour of TiO2 particulate reinforced Al-6063 composites in sodium sulphate medium, International Journal of Applied Chemistry, ISSN 0973-1792, Volume 6, Number 2, (2010) pp. 225–232.
- Studies on Contaminant transport at an industrial waste dump site of Bangalore, India. Published in an International Journal Revista Ambiente Agua Taubate – An Interdisciplinary journal of Applied Science Volume 3, number 3, December08 Issue p55 – 66. Published by University of Taubate, Taubate City, Brazil.
- “Rotational Re-Orientation times and dipole moments of Coumarin laser dye” BARC, Mumbai January 2005.
- ‘Studies on properties of self-setting sand using molasses as a binder and calcium oxide as a hardener” published at Indian Foundry Journal, IIT (Madras), July 1995.
- “Studies on properties of self-setting sand using molasses as a binder and sodium metaborate as a hardener” Indian Foundry Journal IIT (Madras).
- “Sorption and Entrapment of Heavy Metals In A Contaminated Soil Using Nano Calcium Silicate – A Nano Amendment”. Kotresha K, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P F. Materials for Environment, Sustainable Society and Global Empowerment -2019 (MESSAGE - 2019), Department of Nanotechnology, Visvesvaraya Technological University Center for Postgraduate Studies, Bengaluru Region, Muddenahalli, Chikkaballapur – 562 101.
- “Sustainable use of soils amended with nano calcium silicate mixture for cadmium encapsulation in an aqueous medium" Sanaulla P.F, Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Arif Ali Baig Moghal-presented at International conference on Nanotechnology - 2016 (IC Nano 2016) held during 21 - 23rd April 2016 at VTU Center for PG Studies, Muddenehalli, Chikkabalapur, Karnataka, India.page 58-59.
- Effect of Nano Calcium Silicate to retain Nickel in a contaminated Steel Mill Soil. Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P.F and Kotesha K. Indo-Canadian Symposium on Nano-Science and Technology (ICSNST-2016), National Institute of Engineering, Mysore, India.
- Studies on Sorptive Behavior of Red and Black Cotton Soils on Pb, Cd and Ni from Aqueous Medium. Syed Abu Sayeed Mohammed, Sanaulla P. F and Arif Ali BaigMoghal, CLEAR 2014 CONFERENCE - Contaminated Land, Ecological Assessment and Remediation held at Chuncheon, Korea, 5-8 October 2014.
- Application of Potentiometry to study the retentivity of heavy metal ions in Red Soil. Published in an International Conference on Frontiers in Chemical Research Held at Mangalore University during December 2008
- Corrosion Behaviour of Aluminium alloys in 3% and 5 % NaCl Solutions- A Potentiodynamic Study. Presented at “National Symposium on Electrochemical Science and Technology NSEST 2008, conducted by Electrochemical Society of India, Indian Institute of Science, (I.I.Sc) July 2008.
- “Flood Control of a locality through Ground Water Recharge – A Case study.” Published at National Conference on Role of Civil Engineers in Disaster Management and Mitigation, held at BMS College of Engineering from 2nd to 4th February 2006.
- Studies on water quality of Bellandur and Varthur lakes – A Case study.” Published at a National Conference on Environment held at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad during November 2000.
- “Studies on properties of a partially baked sand using a blend of limestone powder and organic resin as a binder” published at 40thAnnual Convention of IIF, IIT (Madras), during February 1992.
- Studies on properties of self-setting sand using molasses as a binder and sodium perborate as a hardener” JNTU Hyderabad.
Conferences, Workshops and Symposiums Attended:
- Journals Editorial Roundtable-2016 “Getting Visible – Indian Authors in Global Arena” organised by Taylor & Francis on 8th March 2016; Bangalore, India.
- Second Indo-Canadian Symposium on Nano-Science and Technology (ICSNST-2016), National Institute of Engineering, Mysore, India-Febuary-2016
- International Workshop on “Coatings and Surfaces in Biomedical Engineering” Indian Institute of Technology –Madras, Chennai, India-February 2014.
- Workshop on “Research Methodology & Report writing” e-learning Centre Mysore, Visvesvaraya Technological University, Bangalore, India-May 2009.
- National Conference on “Recent Advances in Surface Engineering –RASE-09” National Aerospace Laboratories (CSIR), Bangalore, India-February2009.
- National Symposium on “Electrochemical Science & Technology (NSEST-2008), The Electrochemical Society of India, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India-July 2008.
- Workshop on “Industrial Corrosion Awareness & Prevention” The Electrochemical Society of India, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, National Institute of Technology-K & at Mangalore University, India- February 2006.
- National Conference on Environment held at University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India -November 2000.
Life Member of Professional Bodies:
Name & Address of Organization / Institution
Date & Year of Registration
Electrochemical Society of India. IISc, Bangalore
Indian Society for Technical Education. New Delhi, India.
- To be an international renowned department of higher learning in research, innovation and teaching.
- To establish a research centre to carry out research and development.
- To undertake a number of funded research projects from funding agencies and make the department self sustained..
- To get lab certified from a competent authority and start consultancy.
To advance knowledge and learning through quality research and education for nation and humanity.